2013年6月16日星期日

The Legendary Kedai Kopi White House

Long long time ago, in a galaxy far far away, my dad used to work in Kelantan. And during our recent Cuti-Cuti Malaysia trip to East Coast of Peninsular Malaysia, my sister made sure we went to this "legen-wait for it-dary!" White House in Kota Bahru.

My dad kept telling us how much he missed the Nasi Dagang and the very nice kopi! We can't wait to have breakfast there on our second day in Kota Bahru.

 photo whitehouse1_zps08f69bf4.jpg
Kedai Kopi White House

 photo whitehouse2_zps84645a5f.jpg
Mark the address please

There were 7 of us in the entourage. And here is the list of what we had:
1. 7 sets of toast with half boiled eggs
2. 1x Nasi Dagang
3. 1x Nasi Lemak
4. 2x unknown nasi (forgotten the name, but it's a big pointy banana leaf packed rice)
5. 1x kopi for each of us, that made 7x

They were all nice! The most unforgettable items will be kopi and the home made kaya that came with the toasts. My mom and aunts were so tempted to buy the kaya, but we still have a few days to go on the road before going back to Penang. So, we ended up empty handed. And missing all the delicious food.

 photo whitehouse3_zpsf8e2044b.jpg
Nasi Lemak

 photo whitehouse4_zps62414efd.jpg
Nasi Dagang

To my dad's disappointment, the Nasi Dagang is no longer the Nasi Dagang he remembered. According to him, it's supposed to use different type of rice, a red one. We all liked it, but my dad didn't fancy this at all.

 photo whitehouse5_zpsec39611e.jpg
Delicious half boiled eggs

I know it sounds crazy to say this half boiled eggs are really nice. But it IS! And what's amazing was they didn't use any timer or kitchen tool, simply hot water and their skills. Every half boiled eggs came out perfectly cooked! Wonderful!

 photo whitehouse6_zps36f858ed.jpg
My fave!
 photo whitehouse7_zps71334945.jpg
I can really eat this everyday for breakfast!

I really wish I can have this. The roti is toasted the traditional way, charcoal. I love it but it's not going to happen in the Lion City where everything needs to be fast.

 photo whitehouse8_zps146b1bcd.jpg
The "war" we've all created

Look at the "war" we've created on our table! It's a mess!

We've missed the kopi so much we actually went back to "da bao" the coffee after dinner on the same day. White House is opened morning (I forgot what time) and 9pm-1am daily. And full house all the time!

When I was waiting for our packed kopi, I was told to wait for at least 15minutes. Yes, that's how busy they are. I sat there observing the business. It's amazing how things worked out so well in the shop. There's no paper, no computer, nothing to jot down the order! Orders were shouted one to another in and out the kitchen. But food delivered perfectly onto the tables. How did they do it? I am simply clueless and amazed at the same time!

However, one point to be minus off will be the price. The breakfast didn't come cheap at all. But according to my dad, it has been one of the expensive place for breakfast even back then. But it's still "people mountain people sea" everyday.

If you're a coffee lover, I would tell you this is a MUST to pay a visit :)

没有评论: