2013年8月7日星期三

Kids I Got to Know in Mongolia

It's a very different travel experience for me, during the trip to Mongolia. I've been backpackers that stayed in youth hostels; I've been with my husband on leisure trip that we stayed in good hotel and traveled leisurely; I've been with my big family and traveled like a mini tour group. But, I've never stayed with a family, and attached to them for entire trip. Did whatever they did, stayed wherever they stayed.

But because of this, I've got to see how the Mongolians life are. And, I've got to know some Mongolian kids too.

 photo kids3_zps463dfc7a.jpg
Mogi, a girl I met at Naadam Festival

The Mongolian family that I've stayed with couldn't get tickets for Naadam Festival at Ulaanbaatar. However, I felt good that they didn't manage to get, because it's so much more fun to join Naadam Festival in the rural place. Even though it's a much smaller scale, but we got to see everything much closer. And it's not as commercial, as I'm pretty sure we're the only foreigners there!

We've traveled to Jargalt Khan for Naadam. A place that I can't even find to pin on my travel map. Kids are generally curious about us because we're obviously foreigners that don't understand them. However, there was this particular girl, Mogi, who was exceptionally brave. While we were watching wrestling, she asked with a timid voice:"Where are you from?" We continued the conversation, a bit here and there. Her English wasn't good, but for a 13year old girl, in such a rural place, and carried a good few minutes conversation, I salute her! The next day, we met again at a local party at community hall, she's much confident the second time, and approached me again. We've exchanged email address to add each other on Facebook, but somehow, I couldn't find her. I guess, she couldn't find me too.

 photo kids1_zps96b00efb.jpg
Banbo and Iso

Banbo is the grandson of a friend of my host family. Iso, the happy girl in the picture, is a mysterious girl in the house, that I have no idea of her relationship with Banbo, most likely they're not really related but just family friends who happened to be there when we were there. Iso started conversation with us, but we have no idea at all. She asked the adults and understood that we're from Malaysia. Then, we started some sign language and some nonsense conversation. The only thing we understood each other was the name. But still, it's fun.

After Iso left, Banbo was stuck with us for two days. Because we stayed with them for 2 days 2 nights. The longest conversation I had with Banbo was when we watched Mongolian dubbed Cars. When McQueen is out, we'll say McQueen! McQueen! When Mater is out, we'll say Mater! Mater! He's the little teacher who taught me animals in Mongolian with his book. I've forgotten most of them, but important ones like cows, camels, sheep etc, I can still remember. I learned that cars are called "machine" in Mongolian, from Banbo too!

 photo kids2_zps960274b1.jpg
Banbo never know how to smile for camera

There is a picture of Banbo in long hair, being tied up in the living room, that I mistakenly thought Banbo has a sister! Apparently, boys in Mongolia do not cut their hair until they're 4. They'll have their hair shaved. As for girls, I can't remember the age, probably 3. And, something odd, before they shave, the hair was very light brown in color, almost blond for some. But after they shaved, the hair is darker brown.

I don't understand, but it's really cute.

没有评论: