2016年11月8日星期二

The Most Chilled Mom

That's not me.

It's one of my aunt, my 4th aunt. And sometimes I really wish I can be like her, at least I tried sometimes, until I was told that my son has low muscle tone.

Playing with the 八宝粥 I fed him, just after taking a shower

There was a time when my son would eat any rubbish you sent to his mouth, literally anything, he would eat. And he drinks three times milk, and ate two meals a day. If the waking hours seems to be too long, he can have some snacks in between too. But those days were gone. L.O.N.G.G.O.N.E.

Now, you're lucky if he even eats. You have to give him milk when he's not conscious, i.e. sleeping. If he eats that particular food, stick to it! Cook a few times a week if you have to. But if he suddenly decided not to eat, it's not because the food sucks, he's just unpredictable!

My aunt, well, she would say, "Let him be, when he's hungry he will eat". When her daughter climbed the gate, my mom was worried, but my aunt said "Let her be, let her fall and she will be afraid." And true indeed, she fell, and she didn't climb the gate anymore. When my uncle having trouble waking the daughter up for school when aunt's not around, she said "Let her be, let her be late for once and she will wake up from then on." Guess what, she was late and never again.

The list goes on and on and on, and my aunt is always right!

There was once during our New Zealand trip, my son refused any milk or food. I took my aunt's approach. I fed him only once or twice a day, and if he didn't ask for food, he didn't get any. After two days, he ate normal. Prove my aunt's point very well.

However, things changed in me after the trip. We brought him to assessments for his delay development. And we were told he has low muscle tone. Since then, we were looking for all sorts of help, early intervention, physiotherapy sessions, TCM massages, food therapy etc. Anything that could help.

Since then, I got very stressed when he's not eating regularly. I scolded him, forced him, cried together with him, both of us went through a whole lot of emotional turmoil. And things didn't improve. And then I realised, he didn't change, I did.

He was always a bit unpredictable. For a period he would eat non stop, and then another time he would not eat anything at all. Back then, I was relaxed, I let him be. But now, I'm so obsessed with "low muscle tone", determined to not let him go hungry and make sure he has enough to grow, I changed.

So I decided, I should stop. Giving him as little food as possible, if he didn't finish it's fine. If he did, don't need to top up. Let him be. Don't stress him, and don't stress myself. Low muscle tone did not even cause by him going hungry.

No. Period.

Stop caring for what others tell you. Period.

Frankly it's not easy not to care, but I try to control as hard as I can. I'm managing a little bit better now than a few weeks ago. I hope he will return to his regular eating habit.

Chill, chill....

没有评论: